I was flipping through the “Recipes we tried and liked” binder looking for something healthy to make for dinner last night. I stumbled across “Spicy Taco Casserole.”
This dish turned out delicious!! It got Two Thumbs up from MMC Racing as well! THAT IS A KEEPER!!
Spicy Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground turkey olive oil, enough to cook the meat in
- ¼ cup Onion, minced (could go more) *I used fresh onion that I pushed over a grater to get onion mush
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced (original recipe called for 1 tsp – but we love garlic) * I used jarred garlic here
- 1 cup HOT Pace Picante (original called for ½ cup which might be enough if using beef)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- cooking spray
- Sour cream, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Lettuce, optional
- Coat a medium casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1 cup of shredded cheese on the bottom of casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add ground turkey to skillet. Brown meat.
- Stir in Picante and taco seasoning.
- Simmer for 15 minutes (or less).
- Add beans, cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven on middle rack four 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
Makes 6 servings (or at least supposed to — we got 5 out of it).
So you’re probably wondering how I can consider this “healthy” with what looks like a ton of cheese on this meal?
I used 2 cups of 2% cheese and lean turkey instead of beef. Yes, we ate the optional sour cream, lettuce, and tortilla chips. No one said we were perfect.