I have cooked two dinners in the past week. Don’t faint. It has happened before, and I am sure it will happen again. It has been rare in the last month though, I will concede to that much. I know MMC was thankful for not having to cook on a Monday night after a full day of work.
Late last week I found a version of this recipe in my “Recipes We Haven’t Tried Yet” binder. Since I had most of these things on hand already, I decided to grab the fresh and perishable items and make this tonight.
I do not know where I got the basic recipe from; I added the pepper, garlic, and mushrooms.
Crockpot Italian Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1 packet Zesty Italian dressing seasoning
1 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
2 cans cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup – recommend the lowest sodium version
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
3 garlic cloves, halved (optional)
8oz. (or more) mushrooms, halved (optional)
Parmesan cheese, shredded, to taste
Milk (as needed)
Crock Pot liner (optional)
¾ cup per person, Rotini or other pasta that holds sauce well
- Season chicken with part of Italian Dressing packet. Add meat to crock pot.
- Add cream cheese through mushrooms and the rest of the seasoning mix to crockpot.
- Cover. Cook on LOW for 3.5 hours.
- Add parmesan cheese to crock pot. Cook for up to 30 more minutes. If sauce is too thick, add a little milk.
- Cook pasta. Drain Pasta. Return to pot.
- Ladle some sauce from crock pot over pasta. Swirl to coat.
- Plate Pasta. Spoon chicken and mushroom mixture over pasta.
- Sprinkle additional parmesan on top, if desired.
We didn’t plate this very well. I’ll get better, I promise! This was pre-Parmesan sprinkling. It was yummy.
Cleanup was a breeze for the crock pot since I used a liner. It did leak, but nothing stuck to the crock! YEAH!
Let me know if you make this and what you changed or would change next time.